Blood Flow Restriction Training (BFRT) is an evidence-based rehabilitation and fitness/wellness system that in simple terms allows a patient or athlete to have the same or better benefits in therapy or training with less intense efforts.
TherapySouth exclusively uses the B STRONG Training SystemTM in our clinics which we believe allows for the safest and most effective use of BFRT. The B STRONG Training SystemTM is incapable of fully occluding (cutting off) circulation.
WHERE CAN I/MY PATIENTS RECEIVE BFRT?
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Inflatable bands are worn around the upper portion of the arms and/or legs to safely slow the blood in the limb.
- The bands are inflated to individualized pressures prescribed by the B STRONG Training SystemTM.
- Simple, low-load exercise produces profound muscle “burn” comparable to intense anaerobic training.
- This strong fatigue triggers a natural, robust, hormonal cascade, which in turn produces hypertrophy (an increase of muscle tissue – the opposite of atrophy) and strength gains on par with heavy exercise or traditional weight lifting.
- The hormones circulating in the blood stream benefit all areas of the body that were working, not just the restricted limb(s) creating a “Systemic Response.”
HOW CAN THIS BENEFIT ME/MY PATIENTS IN REHABILITATION? BFRT is used in addition to a regular physical therapy program.
- Less recovery time
- Avoid muscle atrophy and loss of fitness
- Systemic anabolic response optimizes the gains made form the recovery program
- Facilitates healing to restore strength and endurance to the muscle
WHAT IS THE EVIDENCE?
You can read about some of the scientific evidence for BFRT here: https://www.gobstrong.com/research/.